Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Craft Night at the MoCC

Last night I went to a crafting get together at the Museum of Contemporary Craft - it was an Etsy craft night from coast to coast - with crafting happening in 3 different cities across the country. Etsy sent a couple of representatives out from Brooklyn to join us here in Portland.
Here Isaac is introducing Cathy and Torie of Crafty Wonderland - they guided us along in creating handmade merit badges - embroidered and decorated felt circles...
There was an incredible supply of embroidery thread thanks to the Museum's amazing collection.
Etsy brought some swag to the event...
Everyone made unique badges - we traced illustrations onto fabric with carbon paper and then hand stitched the designs...






I stuck myself a few times, this particular stick bled (yes I am a klutz) and Rebecca jumped to the first aid kit and made sure I was alright :) Thanks!
Here is my badge in the process - mine was silly. When I heard we were making merit badges I thought to myself "what could I make a merit badge for" and then I thought "how bout a #1 boyfriend!" - something to give Mr. Tim. An incentive perhaps? A reward? A celebration of great significant others! Who knows, but I figured it had to be silly and I can't go blowing up his head to much (although he is awesome) - so I added a little "for the day" on the bottom of the badge... this way I can take it back and give it to him on another date. :)
here is my finished badge. Think Tim will like it? Hopefully he'll do something wonderful soon and I'll pin it to him. Then I will take it off and put it away for the next opportunity :)

6 comments:

aimee said...

BWAHAHAHAHA! I love it!

LeaKarts said...

I wish I could've made it--looks like fun! I think Tim will love your badge :) Miss you!

Slumptown said...

love the photos. It was such a fun evening.

jen v said...

last night was really fun! your badge came out really cute. i on the other hand need to work on my embroidery skills. take care!!

Ryanne Baker said...

Looks like so much fun!! I wish we had Etsy craft nights here! For now, I just have to host my own :P Any info on where I can get one of those etsy bumper stickers??

Elaine from L.A. said...

You finished your badge!!!